Kana DS

Learning Japanese writing on the Nintendo DS

07 July, 2007

KaTool - early screenshot

I want to give you a first glance at the symbol/gesture editor. As I have explained in previous posts, this application will let me build the handwritten kana/kanji symbol database for Kana DS. I'm using J2SE 5.0/Swing in Xcode. Here's how it looks so far:


Some notes:
  • The user interface is far from finished. Placing the widgets is quite a hard task in Swing, so for the time being I'm using the simplest possible layouts. I will polish the UI later.
  • There is a main window that holds a custom "GridPanel" component. This new component can have any number of columns or rows. Now I'm using a 11x5 distribution, to match the hiragana/katakana character sets.
  • Clicking on any of the grid's placeholders opens a new document window, when you can edit the corresponding symbol.
I'm sorry for the slow development pace, but I must pay attention to other projects as well. Hopefully I will be able to spam about them in the coming weeks.

PD: Thanks for all the comments. It really encourages me to keep working on this :)

5 Comments:

At 05:45, Blogger UNSQUARED [(Un)^2] said...

How interesting! I hope to see this project completed sometime in the future. Good luck. :D

 
At 14:18, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, I've lurked here for quite some time but never posted a comment - I almost feel guilty now ;)

Indeed an interesting project, I'm learning hiragana now, help like this would be really cool.

Keep going!

 
At 18:13, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I really like what you are doing; please keep up the good work!

 
At 00:07, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this sounds like exactly what i'm looking for to start practicing my kana on the DS, good stuff!

 
At 08:35, Anonymous DagShot said...

YEAH DUDE! this will be the best Japanese learning application in the world! (i think you're aware of this... :)
i'm REALY looking forward to this and the fact you're doing the KaTool aswell, in OSX even, is simply too sweat! I'll realy be able to learn japanese propably then!

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home